Running of the Bulls in New Orleans started because someone told Los Pastores that the secret to getting rich was to start a festibal that was free and open to the public. Now that they’re all broke, Los Pastores have decided to start charging a registration fee to cover operating expenses and raise a bit of money for charities along the way.
Self-titled “El Padrino” (The Godfather) of San Fermin in Nueva Orleans, Mickey Hanning was born on the Westbank of New Orleans. During an inebriated Mardi Gras in 2001 he promised a comrade he would test his bravado in Pamplona. One-and-a-half years later, he made good on that promise to attend Sanfermines (the festival in Pamplona). During Mardi Gras 2007, he & La Madrina birthed the idea of San Fermin in Nueva Orleans after seeing a friend dressed as a Correro (runner). He quickly found other integral Pastores to make it happen.
Running of the Bulls in The News
We love it when you talk about us & share your photos. Thanks to these folks for making us look good!
- Fox 8: “Runners flock to annual New Orleans running of the bulls” -12 July 2014
- Nola.com: “Running of the Bulls 2014 mixes New Orleans fun with Spanish style fiesta” -8 July 2014
- Gambit: “Feasting and fleeing at the Running of the Bulls” -5 July 2013
- Huffington Post: “New Orleans Summer Festivals Celebrate Jazz, Food And Running Of The Bulls.” -2 April 2012.
- Paste Magazine: “The Running of the Bulls in New Orleans” 8 July 2010.
- NewOrleansOnline.com: “San Fermin en Nueva Orleans (Running of the Bulls)“
- Experienceneworleans.com: “Running Of The Bulls“
- Penthouse: “Batters Up.” -28 February 2011.
This article and photos are PG-13. But, some of the photos are on the website are not. Click here to view the story.
- FAN PHOTOS: These folks shared links to their photos with us. Please credit them appropriately if you use their images.
- The Times-Picayune: “Fifth annual Running of the Bulls gallops through New Orleans.” -8 July 2011.